Tuesday 11 March 2014

Gratitude : Expressing appreciation, thankful for what’s received



Our church printed out slips of Lenten Challenges and parishioners were asked to pick one up randomly.  (Read my previous blog on Ash Wednesday to find out more about Lent).  The one I picked was “Keep a gratitude jar. Over the period of your challenge, write down what you are grateful for daily. It can be as simple as being grateful for a good weather.”

Gratitude is the expression of appreciation and thankfulness for what one has received.



So here are my daily dose of Gratitude Jar for the week:

  • Wed 5 Mar: Religious freedom. As I attended my first Ash Wednesday, I am thankful for freedom of choice of religion in Singapore and open minded culture where I can grow in the way my spirit leads me in meditation and pranic healing.  My prayer for everyone is freedom from oppression,  both religious and spiritual, including materialism and workaholism.  Do I see some guilty nodes to workaholism?
  • Thu 6 Mar: Sharing in times of need.  Upon hearing that I have been working until 3am every night with no time to run out to buy a watch for the upcoming Brazil trip, my friend Tracey Berlee offered to lend me her Casio Baby G watch and passed it to me the very same night. Just as this act of selflessness, may we be likewise sensitive and swift to aid others in need.
  • Fri 7 Mar: Team spirit & supportive bosses. The ASEAN STG Marketing team is probably one of the best marketing team one can ever hope to work with – rallies together towards common goals, inclusive towards other team members and treat one another with respect and genuine concern.  I am grateful to my bosses  for agreeing to release me for the IBM Corporate Service Corps for several weeks.   I hope the team’s example influences the ASEAN community with joyful team dynamics.
  • Sat 8 Mar: Love conquers all.  Looking at how my three dogs play with one another brings an appreciation of the journey taken transforming an aggressive killer dog with lots of angst to a willing pleaser with a happy countenance.   It took acceptance, forgiveness,  gentle love and patience. My wish is for pet owners not to give up as every animal deserves a second chance.
  • Sun 9 Mar: Mums are God’s gifts to us.  Words cannot describe my hubby and my gratefulness to both our mums who brought us up single handed and against all odds.  Even now, our mums enjoy cooking for us and helping us out when we are away on holidays. May we all learn to appreciate our mothers who have given us life and much more.
  • Mon 10 Mar: Angels guard our footsteps.  We arrived safely to Krabi just 2 days after the mysterious Malaysia Airlines MH370 disappearance.  Prayers go out to the pilots, crew, passengers and family members.
  • Tue 11 Mar: Clear unpolluted skies. The weather in Krabi is perfectly sunny and skies are clear.  Glad to be out of the smoky haze (PSI 84)  in Singapore created by the Indonesia forest fires from farmers burning to clear land for planting palm crops.  Let’s pray that the farmers will rise above poverty line to become more aware of sustainable green practices.

 Looking forward to more discoveries in the coming week!

2 comments:

  1. You are one of a kind, I'm so so sad I won't get to meet you in person. Many blessings and love to you my dear Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jossie and Ryan, I miss you both in Brazil. Keep following the blogs. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your comments